Sopa/pipa Protest

Novus'Olm

Sopa/pipa Protest

Post by Novus'Olm » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:50 pm

Dear Angels of Fire Members,

To protest the US Government's SOPA and PIPA bills, The Angels of Fire Jedi Order Forums, which uses the Zetaboards hosting service, have been purposely censored.

Images hosted on websites such as Imageshack, Imgur, etc have been censored, as they are hosted outside of the US.

While we are a Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy clan, we are all people who will be affected if this bill takes effect.

You may notice some images still working. The purpose of this project is to show you a taste of what will happen to our forums if the bill passes.

Want to help?
  • If you are in the US, you can click on the "Censored" button in the top right hand corner of any forums page to contact your representatives and encourage them to vote "No" on the bills.
  • If you are NOT in the US, contact the State Department, or visit this website to sign a virtual petition to them.
Thank you,
Jedi Master Novus'Olm
Angels of Fire Jedi Order
Xfire: darkyoda58

Jedi Academy Info:

Visit my AoF Wiki Page for information about me.
Rules and Regulations of AoF
Rank Rules

Moosero

Sopa/pipa Protest

Post by Moosero » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:43 pm

Signed the virtual petition!

Leonhart

Sopa/pipa Protest

Post by Leonhart » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:26 pm

AoF Blackout!
Edit: Sadly my avatar and sig are unaffected, so I crossed out all the text.

Kodin

Sopa/pipa Protest

Post by Kodin » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:04 pm

Bee and I both signed.
Name: Kodin Vors
Skin: Kodin

Graduated Apprentices:
Hawk

ZeroTM

Sopa/pipa Protest

Post by ZeroTM » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:37 pm

-----------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crystal: Purple
Combat: Ataru
Model: Advent Children - Spanki/White Cloud
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"All those people do is insult my intelligence." ~Novus'Olm

Mydin

Sopa/pipa Protest

Post by Mydin » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:46 pm

Ardorus wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:07 pm
You know what I hate to be "THAT GUY" but...

I honestly can see the use in the SOPA and PIPA bills. I read through the actual bill thoroughly and I think many of you are over reacting. The bill is meant to protect the rights of people who publish digital media from pirating. Pirating, as I'm sure none of you do, is a huge problem in industries like games, music, movies, etc. Billions of dollars are basically stolen from these companies because of pirating. The bills won't limit what you can say or do on the internet, it only helps reinforce the idea that stealing is bad. Now, if the government passes it and wants to extend the powers over other branches of the internet then yes be concerned. I don't fully support it but I can see where they are coming from. Many people think "oh man we are turning into a communist society" but in reality we are just protecting the copy right laws that are already in place just over the internet. I think everyone needs to calm down. I signed the petition but I think everyone needs to educate themselves, read the actual bill, then make an educated opinion.
None of us are over reacting, you just misunderstanding the bill.

It isn't really the idea of putting a stop to copyright so much as the wording and the damage that it could cause to the online community.

For more information look at the articles I posted in the other topic and the reasons why the White House are against the bill.

Check out Cyanide and happiness.

Check out Xkcd.

Check out Wikipedia.

Check out Reddit.

They all provide their own individual reasons for opposing the bill. Think about it, would you consider AMV's to be a breach of copy right? Neither would I, but Youtube would still get shut down.

Would you consider it an offence for a Wikipedia citation to link to a website that breaches copy right laws? Neither would I.

Either you completely missed the entire point of why the bill is bad, or you're always on the bright side of the universe.

x-Padawans: Verlathor, Vultax, Utini
x-Master: Raikiri

Novus'Olm

Sopa/pipa Protest

Post by Novus'Olm » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:56 pm

Ardorus wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:07 pm
You know what I hate to be "THAT GUY" but...

I honestly can see the use in the SOPA and PIPA bills. I read through the actual bill thoroughly and I think many of you are over reacting. The bill is meant to protect the rights of people who publish digital media from pirating. Pirating, as I'm sure none of you do, is a huge problem in industries like games, music, movies, etc. Billions of dollars are basically stolen from these companies because of pirating. The bills won't limit what you can say or do on the internet, it only helps reinforce the idea that stealing is bad. Now, if the government passes it and wants to extend the powers over other branches of the internet then yes be concerned. I don't fully support it but I can see where they are coming from. Many people think "oh man we are turning into a communist society" but in reality we are just protecting the copy right laws that are already in place just over the internet. I think everyone needs to calm down. I signed the petition but I think everyone needs to educate themselves, read the actual bill, then make an educated opinion.
I've read the actual bill. I've formulated an educated opinion.

Do you honestly think that some of the Internet's, and the Business World's, most influential and successful websites would be opposing this bill in the manner they are if everyone was "just overreacting?"

The reason that so many people are against this bill is because it does little, if not absolutely nothing, to prevent piracy.

Instead, it makes it almost impossible for websites like Wikipedia, YouTube, Google Services (Docs, Voice, Google Plus, etc) to operate.

I'm sorry to say that if you honestly think that this bill is going to be even 1% "Good" for the country, or for the internet, you need to reassess your priorities.

Sure, right now, the censorship that AoF Administration have implimented in protest may seem silly, until it actually happens. If these bills pass, you'll begin to see things such as signatures, avatars, etc, directly affected because many of them contain copyrighted content. Sites such as ImageShack, Photobucket, etc, would shut down.

Reddit has already said that if the bill passes they will have no choice but to cease opperation of their services because complying with the bill is not only a direct violation of the freedoms of the Internet, Intellectual Property, Creative Control, Public Domain, and Speech, but they also create the groundwork for a complete censored-state such as China, Iran, etc.

Amazon, Google, and Ebay have said that the bill will make it impossible for them to conduct day-to-day business.

Wikipedia will be forced to shut down.

You're the one that needs to do research.

Jedi Academy Info:

Visit my AoF Wiki Page for information about me.
Rules and Regulations of AoF
Rank Rules

IrishDragon

Sopa/pipa Protest

Post by IrishDragon » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:19 pm

Yes, sites like Google and Wikipedia aren't going to step up for a cause unless it is something major that could prevent them from functioning as their customers or clients require. A site doesn't work, it dies out only to be replaced by something else.
~IrishDragon
Leader/Founder of the Angels of Fire
STEAM: irishdragon
IrishDragon's Skin