Changes in Clan Structure: Adept, and the Paths of the Jedi

Novus'Olm

Post by Novus'Olm » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:19 pm

Recent discussion among The Jedi Council, using feedback provided from clan members over the past few months, has revealed that a large issue with the feeling of "stagnation" comes from our Padawan rank.

This rank is unique in the fact that progression is measured in terms of the content learned and growth represented in improvement of one's abilities as a Jedi, rather than rank ups. Often times, this rank can take anywhere from 6 months to several years to pass, as it is the point where you are being trained by a Master to become a member of The Jedi Collective.

Concern has also been raised that we have so few Prestige Class Jedi over AoF's history due to the fact that we expect JKs to just pick up Staff/Dubs/DS and learn them on their own, with no former experience.

As such, The Jedi Council has developed a new rank for the order, and two separate paths of learning for apprentices.

New Rank/Branching:

Jedi Adept: {A}

This replaces the former Padawan rank in the former ranking structure. (Initiate -> Jedi Adept instead of Initiate -> Padawan). These members are new apprentices, having been sponsored by and assigned to a member of The Jedi Collective. This is the state at which they begin to learn the basics of the saber forms taught by their master, and attend Rank-wide Jedi Knowledge classes performed by The Jedi Council. At a point determined by their Master, Adepts are to be evaluated by one Jedi Master or two Jedi Knights (Prestige or Non-Prestige), and a report made to The Jedi Council, whom would vote to advance the student to Padawan.

Padawan: {P}

After passing their Adept Trials, the apprentice advances to the rank of Padawan, where they begin to select Saber Forms with their Master that they would like to focus on, in order to build their style. This is also the stage where fighting the Dark Side is introduced, and will attend Advanced Knowledge Classes with either a Jedi Master or two Jedi Knights (Prestige included).

After sufficient time has passed, the Master and Padawan must come to a decision:

Introducing: The Paths of the Jedi!

If the Padawan decides that they would rather advance simply to the rank of Jedi Knight (choosing NOT to specialize in one of the three Prestige Classes at this time), they select the Teacher's Path, and go through The Trials of the Jedi Knight. Upon passing, the Padawan is advanced to the rank of Jedi Knight, and is allowed to take an apprentice of his/her own after being trained as an administrator and facing a 30 day "Cool-down" period, to adapt to their new role.

Jedi Knights are granted Knight-level JA+ Admin, and join The Jedi Collective as full-fledged administrators. If a JK decides they want to pursue a Prestige Class at a later time, they may do so after training an apprentice to the Paths of the Jedi phase.

If the Padawan decides that they would like to specialize into a Prestige Class, they must pass an evaluation by The Jedi Council, after which they are placed into advanced study under their Master towards their chosen Prestige.

Warrior's Path:

After choosing either Jedi Guardian, Jedi Sentinel, or Jedi Consular as their prestige class, the new Apprentice of Prestige is given INSTRUCTOR level administrative abilities, and given limited responsibilities as a "junior member" of The Jedi Collective.

Depending on the prestige class chosen, the Padawan is assigned a new end tag:

Prestige Classes, Warrior's Path:

~Apprentice Guardian- {AG}
~Apprentice Sentinel- {AS}
~Apprentice Consular- {AC}

At the Master's discretion, the new Apprentice of Prestige is put through the Prestige Class Trials. Upon passing, they are granted the immediate ascension to their Prestige Class, and considered a full member of The Jedi Collective, with KNIGHT level admin.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This will hopefully allow for more flexibility in our saber and force usage, as well as give members a new sense of accomplishment during this long period of time.

Questions/Concerns? Please ask!

Full details can be found on the Clan Structure page. A Wiki Page on the Paths of the Jedi will be created shortly.

Jedi Academy Info:

Visit my AoF Wiki Page for information about me.
Rules and Regulations of AoF
Rank Rules

Zieg

Post by Zieg » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:49 pm

I agree. I love it. I've been wanting something like this for years xD

Name: Zieg

Moosero

Post by Moosero » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:43 pm

I have a few questions/points now that I am more awake than when I first read it :)

- Will this change effectively wipe out the JK rank in the future?? If the remaining JK's achieve a Prestige class, and rising ones go straight to a prestige. Will this rank be replaced in the future or just deprecated??

- The following line in your post doesn't seem to be right:
This replaces the former Padawan rank in the former ranking structure. (Initiate -> Jedi Adept instead of Initiate -> Padawan).
I think the second Initiate should read Padawan?? or have I just mis-understood it?

- The new set-up seems to go A, P, AG. So they go from an Adept, to a Padawan to an Adept again..... perhaps this should be reversed, so it goes P, A, AG. Or perhaps change to Apprentice Guardian rather than Adept Guardian.

I realize the last 2 are minor points, and that I am nit picking, but it's what I do best :P

Kodin

Post by Kodin » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:25 pm

The JK rank will be mandatory for those who prefer to get started on training a Padawan immediately or would rather not tackle the prestige quite yet. This does not make JK a depreciated rank, it just allows the Padawan to decide which direction he'd rather take.

If you replace the second initiate with Padawan his statement reads: Instead of going from Initiate to Adept you go from Padawan to Padawan. o.0 That makes no sense.

I understand what you're saying about going to Adept to Padawan to Adept again. I agree something there needs to change.
Name: Kodin Vors
Skin: Kodin

Graduated Apprentices:
Hawk

Moosero

Post by Moosero » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:31 pm

This replaces the former Padawan rank in the former ranking structure. (Initiate -> Jedi Adept instead of Initiate -> Padawan).
to:
This replaces the former Padawan rank in the former ranking structure. (Initiate -> Jedi Adept instead of Padawan-> Padawan).

The first one implies that you used to go from Initiate -> Initiate again -> Padawan, whereas the second implies it used to be Initate -> Padawan (which is correct)

Novus'Olm

Post by Novus'Olm » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:55 pm

To answer concerns:

1) The sentence is fine the way it is. Read in literal terms, it states:
Jedi Adept Description wrote:This replaces the former Padawan rank in the former ranking structure. (Initiate -> Jedi Adept instead of Initiate -> Padawan).
To break it down, this means where before the ranking system went H -> I -> P, it now goes H -> I -> A -> P. Really nothing to it.

2) Moose is correct in the "sounding" of Adept <prestige>. I will make edits to refer to them as Apprentice <Prestige>.

3) The JK rank, at this time, is not being "phased out". Some of our JKs, both past and present, have not expressed an interest in becoming a Prestige Jedi. I, myself, went for Sentinel and ended up staying a standard JK all the way to JM.

Jedi Academy Info:

Visit my AoF Wiki Page for information about me.
Rules and Regulations of AoF
Rank Rules

Moosero

Post by Moosero » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:21 am

Ok no worries, its just my brain that is reading the statement in a different way to the rest of you :)

Apprentice will look better than Adept on that level, and that's good to know about the JK rank. As i am in a similar boat that not really up for going for a prestige class.

IrishDragon

Post by IrishDragon » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:08 pm

Ok, well, I needed to read that and have a small discussion about it...

Adept is a nice filler rank for those on the path to JK. Allowing a, hopefully, lack of stagnation and demoralization on the part of those in the training process.

Personally... I still feel that the H and I ranks should also be included in these group trainings. My reasoning for that is that it will give them more of a sense of comradory, belonging, and purpose. It would also give those of the JK+ ranks something more to do and maybe even provide them benefits and advancements based on their success rates.

Either way... I believe this to be a change for the best interest in the clan moving forward.

This addition/adaption to the ranking system is approved by me. (thumbUp)

Please make sure that the appropriate additions to the Wiki, and permission groups are set up on the forums. Contact me if assistance is needed beyond this approval.
~IrishDragon
Leader/Founder of the Angels of Fire
STEAM: irishdragon
IrishDragon's Skin